View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:01 pm

decoding speed 

Post decoding speed
Hi,

what is "decoding speed" of xplico? Is it possible to enhance it somehow (more threads, divide load on multiple machines - cluster)?
If Xplico works with probe (like netsniff-ng), probe SW could collect huge amount of data (BTW, is there some limit of netsniff-ng; e.g. capture 4 Gbps on 10 Gbps link?)
If probe can deliver huge amount of data can Xplico decode it in "real time"?

I am not programmer, sorry if my question sounds "lame"; but I hope you understand my point ;-)

Thanks & best regards,
Domagoj

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:34 am
Site Admin

Post Re: decoding speed
Quote:
what is "decoding speed" of xplico?

it depends by:
  • the type of network traffic data (http, mail, https, p2p, voip, ...)
  • the HD speed, CPU cores and speed, the amount of ram, ...
  • what is your goal
Here you can find some data.

Quote:
Is it possible to enhance it somehow (more threads, divide load on multiple machines - cluster)?

Yes. Xplico is multi threads, and it is designed to run in multiple machines.

Quote:
If Xplico works with probe (like netsniff-ng), probe SW could collect huge amount of data (BTW, is there some limit of netsniff-ng; e.g. capture 4 Gbps on 10 Gbps link?)

Xplico natively uses pcap file, so any acquisition system that produces this type of file is compatible with it.

Quote:
If probe can deliver huge amount of data can Xplico decode it in "real time"?

if you split the data (from the probe) in to many (sized according to the type of traffic) server/machines where Xplico run then it is possible. But everything should be dimensioned according to the amount of traffic and the type of network traffic.
Not knowing your purpose, I think it is more appropriate to use a probe to filter (select) the network traffic you wish to capture. In this way a selective probe avoids having to manage huge amounts of data.
The probe can capture network data for example based on the source IP or according to the presence of specific patterns.

Ciao.
Gianluca

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:30 am
Profile WWW