View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:28 am

Wireshark File Import 

Post Wireshark File Import
First off I want to say great work, and finally something that is close to Cain for Linux.

i am not sure if I am not doing something right, but it is seems like I cannot parse a saved file from Wireshark. The reason I am using Wireshark for the captures is I am having problems with doing a live capture with WiFi with Xplico., but that does not matter since I mostly want to use Xplico as a decoder. Once i get some traffic going in Wireshark I save the file as a "wireshark/Tcpdump - Libcap" file.

During my "test" I know there was lots of HTTP traffic and the such, but when I import the file and Xplico has decoded, it shows nothing.

My WiFi network is open so no WEP /WPA or anything to decrypt. to start Xplico, I open FF after I start Apache, and go to the address 127.0.0.1:9876 and everything fires up. Now what I am not sure of, and what may be the problem is that I am not running the sqlite_demo.sh script as I have seen in a few example because I cannot find it.

I installed Xplico on BT4, using "Apt-get install xplico", could this be problem and I need to do it the "long" way?

Thanks,
Mongoose

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Post Re: Wireshark File Import
Hello,

for diagnostics, first follow these tips:

1º) Are you using the last version of Xplico?
2º) With your Xplico installation, have you got to decode a sample catpure? (download them wiki.xplico.org)
3º) Have you activated the "No checksum mode"? (wiki.xplico.org)

Probably your installation is not working (you must have a process called "dema" running), bet for the long method or use a Virtualbox machine sample (downloable from Xplico's web).

Carlos.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Thanks Carlos, I will follow your steps and do the long install and see what is going on. If I do not have any luck I will post the cap file.

I have been looking for something like this for Linux for a long time, and very happy to come across you and your team's work =).

Mongoose

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:14 pm

I did some digging and it looks like Wireshark is not creating the proper Cap file. I DL'd the samples and decodes like a charm, so I opened the samples in a text reader and then opened the Wireshark Cap in another and took a look at them. they look totally different, the Wireshark cap format seems to be "encrypted" or in a raw format, versus the samples are in somewhat plain text.

I tried all of the cap formats that Wireshark had to offer and none of them look like your samples. I am using the latest versions of Xplico (5.8) and Wireshark (1.4), I also did an update / upgrade for BT4.

Is there one more step for decoding a Wireshark cap file? my WiFi network is completely open, no WEP or WPA or other protection.

I know from reading on the BT4 forum that there was some issues with BT4 and Xplico. I am more than happy to use Deft, but I cannot find any support on installing Deft to the HD, since I need to do that because Deft is lacking a couple of tools I use such as Airmon.

It just came to me, could it be that Airmon is causing the difference on the cap? I can only see full traffic in monitor mode, and only half to none on the Wlan adapter.

Thanks,

Mongoose

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:34 pm
Site Admin

Hi Mongoose,
it is probably only a problem of protocols (dissectors), not of pcap the file format.
Can you send us (post it in this forum or: bug[@]xplico.org) an example of your pcap (capture from your network)?

Ciao.
Gianluca

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:12 am
Profile WWW

Here is just a quick cap for an example.

Thanks,

Mongoose

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:35 pm

It looks like it will not let me UL, I attached the file but it is not showing. Does it need to be zipped or something?

Thanks,

Mongoose

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:39 pm
Site Admin

Hi Mongoose,
the procedure to attach a file is this:
  • click to "Browse..." button (and select a file)
  • click to "Add the file"
  • and (it is not necessary) click to "Place inline" (this link/button appears if and only if the two previous steps were successful )
I think the maximum file size is 2M, but I'm not sure.

Ciao.
Gianluca

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:14 am
Profile WWW

Wireshark Upload sample

Attachment:
Wireshark Sample.zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:43 pm

I think the file limit is 1M, before the zip I was at 1.2M and would not take.

Sorry for all the problems, I am having one of those weeks where I should not be touching anything LOL.

Thanks,

Mongoose

Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:44 pm