View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:23 pm

Question regarding pcap size, xplico and splitting 

Post Question regarding pcap size, xplico and splitting
Hello,

I have some questions about these topics as I'm going to use xplico:

• What is the maximum size of a pcap file to be uploaded (independent from php.ini settings) ?
  • I tried to split a pcap file but it failed, what do you use on Debian for this purpose and how do you use it ? Could you give me an example ?
  • Is there any issue to launch/ise xplico via sqlite_demo.sh on a regular basis ?

Many thanks,
Regards,
RedVivi

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:48 am

Post Re: Question regarding pcap size, xplico and splitting
redvivi wrote:
Hello,

I have some questions about these topics as I'm going to use xplico:

• I tried to split a pcap file but it failed, what do you use on Debian for this purpose and how do you use it ? Could you give me an example ?

In Wireshark, you can store traffic in separate files with specifying maximum size of each pcap file.

About xplico, i am not sure, but i think pcap files is generated based on flow_id(src_ip, src_port, dest_ip, dest_port) for each content, for example a flash movie on a web page has a flow_id that using it, pcap is generated.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:42 am

rp_exploit wrote:
In Wireshark, you can store traffic in separate files with specifying maximum size of each pcap file.

I ran into problem while trying to install the package because aptitude wants to install ubuntu1.0.1 package or something similar. That's why I use tcpdump.

rp_exploit wrote:
About xplico, i am not sure, but i think pcap files is generated based on flow_id(src_ip, src_port, dest_ip, dest_port) for each content, for example a flash movie on a web page has a flow_id that using it, pcap is generated.

Do you mean it has something to do with memory usage, limiting the maximum size of a processed pcap file ?

Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:50 am

redvivi wrote:
What is the maximum size of a pcap file to be uploaded (independent from php.ini settings) ?

Till where i knwo, there are not limits. And you can process the PCAPs files from the console line interface, so never mind about the web server and php.ini.

redvivi wrote:
I tried to split a pcap file but it failed, what do you use on Debian for this purpose and how do you use it ? Could you give me an example ?

You can use "editcap", included in Wireshark, but take care using it, it may create new problems: imagine you split a JPG in two PCAPs, you'll never get the real image.

redvivi wrote:
Is there any issue to launch/ise xplico via sqlite_demo.sh on a regular basis ?

I don't understand u, do you mean starting Xplico form CLI? You have more documentation and examples at http://wiki.xplico.org/doku.php ("Use Xplico" section).

Carlos.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:01 pm

carlos.gacimartin wrote:
Till where i knwo, there are not limits. And you can process the PCAPs files from the console line interface, so never mind about the web server and php.ini.

I can process from the CLI but can I get the pcap analysis via the web UI if I use the CLI ?

carlos.gacimartin wrote:
Is there any issue to launch/ise xplico via sqlite_demo.sh on a regular basis ?

I don't understand u, do you mean starting Xplico form CLI? You have more documentation and examples at http://wiki.xplico.org/doku.php ("Use Xplico" section).

I mean, I start Xplico with sh /opt/.../sqlite_demo.sh. I don't know if it's the "official" and proper manner to start it.

Thanks a lot,
RedVivi

Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:04 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
* What is the maximum size of a pcap file to be uploaded (independent from php.ini settings) ?

There are no limits. The only limit is the HD size.
The only thing to remember is that the current capture-module have no history (only the manipulators have history as the manipulator of EMULE) so if you divide a pcap then you have to process all pcaps at once, otherwise streams that are broken in two pcap will not be rebuilt.
Obviously you can make a capture-module that solutions to this problem, or alternatively change the management policies of the launch of Xplico (such as decoders) by Dema.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:58 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
limiting the maximum size of a processed pcap file ?

No, it gets traffic for each flow_id separately, consequently generated pcap files are separated.

Quote:
I can process from the CLI but can I get the pcap analysis via the web UI if I use the CLI ?

Xplico has two mode: CLI & XI. They work separately so if you run cli, you can't use xi to see decoded traffic.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:15 am